April 27, 2010

New Clothes

I took on the challenge of making my summer clothes this year. After completing the first two items, I remembered how much I love making clothing. The details you can add and the satisfaction of making something well. It's not the economic way to go since you can get things so inexpensively at big stores, but the fact that I can, that I have the materials and the skills... I should. So, here is my first two shirts.

The first shirt is Burda 7831. It was a more complicated shirt that I took the liberty of changing and adding some elements that I wanted, like the piping, the under collar is orange and the additional buttons. The waist was really short which worked out for me, but anyone else making this should take that into consideration. I wear it with a high waist skirt or make sure and put a tank top underneath. The pattern also did not have you finish the button plate or underarm seams very well for how well the rest of the shirt was designed.


This pattern is Vogue 8634, it has a full and 3/4 sleeve option. It is fantastic. I had it finished and on in an hour. I will make it again for sure. I added the rickrack at the empire waist and chose a really lightweight T-shirt cotton that I have to wear a tank top with, but I love this shirt. Contrary to the other pattern this one has a ridiculously long waist and if I were a pencil (memories) it would make a great tunic, but the waist has widened and it doesn't hang as it should. :) So I shortened the waist by 4 inches.

I am having so much fun!

Happy Sewing ~




 


oh, oh, oh! Our little store will be open on May 8th... the pressure is on!

7 comments:

Julie said...

They are so beautiful! I'm learning that the satisfaction of wearing something homemade is worth the extra money and effort!

Joanne said...

Beautiful! I can't wait until I can sew well enough to attempt my own clothes!

Jane said...

Really cute! I need to make some clothes for myself because I just can't seem to find what I like out there.

Andreal said...

YAY!!!! i love your shirts...i want to make one!

Marie-Jolie (Marie Greene) said...

Go you!! Love the shirts, and I'm so excited for your shop. Wish I were close enough to join you!

rachel said...

These are both so cute! I especially love all of those teal buttons on the striped blouse. And best of luck with your new shop - that is so exciting!

Holly said...

CUTE! I need to start sewing again...the options are limitless!