March 9, 2010

A Brooch & So Much More

 

I have been seeing these really intricate necklaces from Anthropologie. They are romantic and extravagant... really over the top. They run anywhere from 200 to 600 dollars depending on the stones, designer and store you purchase it from. This week I have made a pin tuck shirt also inspired from something I saw, but to make it my own, I also made a huge multi textured, jewel laden brooch that attaches to the neckline and the necklace above from two necklaces, a silk flower and a brooch... I love it!





I had such a good time creating this that I am going to film a tutorial on Wednesday and have it up here for you to see how this project was completed. Stay tuned... check back on Thursday for a video tutorial if this is something you are inspired to make.

A little disclaimer inserted here... I used costume jewelry given to me from my great grandma, my grandma and a few great aunts, but there is so much out there in thrift stores. As long as you stay away from Bakelite and rare glass colors, it is reasonably priced. I went out this afternoon to get some small pieces to add to the tutorial piece... I was shocked that one set of earrings and a brooch was $75 but another was $10. So decide what you want to spend. Also, I did not dismantle the jewelry in any way - so that when this trend comes to an end I can still have intact heirloom pieces.


~ Gabrielle














Okay, "so" after editing and listening to the video, I am laughing at how much I say "so". My oldest daughter even mentioned the frequency... maybe it's because I love to "sew". hee hee!

~ Gabrielle

12 comments:

Jane said...

Well done. I am seeing these trends, too. I don't have much jewelry - period. I'm going to give a go at a t-shirt type necklace. We'll see where that takes me!

Joanne said...

Oooh... can't wait to see how you did this! :)

Marie-Jolie said...

Fun, fun, and more glamorous fun! Are you ready for your FP challenge? I've got the wheels turning. Get your game on, MacGuyver! :)

Also... get ready to start your clock. I'm going to do a knitting marathon starting in four minutes until I finish "the pillow" and will show you the spoils of my labor tonight. :) My chores are all finished, and I already made all of the necessary parts of dinner so that all I have to do is throw them together. Portobello Burritos, baby. Yummo!

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

Blast off!

French Picnic said...

French Picnic loves your bling, and I think it's the perfect thing to wear to a French picnic!

Jennifer said...

Nice!! Looks really great. I can't wait to see your video :)

Crafty Girls Workshop said...

Thanks for visiting and replying to my "survey" over at CGW. It's so fun to learn about new people isn't it? I had no idea that many people even read my blog! Your tutorial videos look great! Thanks for putting those together.

Anna
P.S. I feel like I spend almost all my time at a computer lately, wish I was actually getting paid for it!

SafeHomeHappyMom said...

Hi, I am your latest follower from a late FF. I am so glad i found your blog, its so informative. I hope to read more of it.

You can also visit us at www.safehomehappymom.com for safe product reviews and information

~Shelley~ said...

Visiting from Friday Follow...I'm now following! Love for you to come visit and follow me!

Have a great weekend :)
~Shelley @ Shelley's Swag

joeandbridge said...

Happy Friday Follow (on Saturday-lol). Stopping in to be your newest follower! Hope you can come follow me! Thanks and have a great weekend!

Bridgette Groschen
The Groschen Goblins
http://www.groschengoblins.com

Rachel Carlson said...

OH.MY.GOODNESS. this is SEW fabulous. take that ANTHRO! your blog is great, found it via a comment from my gypsy girl life - glad i found you. creative cheers!

Carol said...

I love these ideas! I'm going to have to get out some of my pins and fabric and play!
I'm following you now. Stop by and visit me!
http://songberries.blogspot.com

Julie said...

This is great. Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to try this.